Our nails are dead cells growing out of our fingers. So, there are no nerves in the nails and that is why we do not have any sensation in the nails. But, while clipping your nails, you should be careful enough not to dig into your skin. Nails have two parts to be cared for. One is the nail plate and the other is the cuticle area which provides a covering to the nail. The cuticle area has two types of skin. One skin is the dead skin which extends on to the nail and the other is live skin which folds around the dead skin. So, while pushing back the cuticles or clipping them during a manicure, one should be very cautious not to hurt the live skin. This live skin protects our nails from the nail infections. This was an overview of the nail structure.
Here are some tips to keep your nails clean, strong and healthy.
1. Dip your nails in olive oil (or your choice of oil) once a week. This is irrespective of the fact that you are doing manicure or not. The oil keeps your nails strong and the skin around the nails moisturized. It prevents the skin from cracking and peeling around the nail edges (which are very prominent in some people). If you can't dip it in oil, take a generous quantity of oil and massage your nails and cuticles with it. You can even do this daily with a drop of oil. This is a great tip for brittle nails. You can use jojoba in place of olive oil. It works great.
2. Once a week, you can take some baking powder on a brush tip and start brushing your nails. That will turn your nails white and remove any odd colors on your nail.
3. When filing or buffing your nails, always go in one direction. If you file or buff your nails back and forth, this will cause splitting.
To avoid breaking nails, don't use them as tools, such as digging or picking.
4. Do you file the corners of your nails? This may weaken the nails and cause them to break more easily.
5. Do not use false nails. Better try growing your own nails.
6. Leave your nails free of any nail paint at least twice in a month.
7. While doing manicure to your hands, do not forget to take care of your nails. Do not let your nails dry. Moisturize them every time you apply moisturizer to your hands with a rich hand cream make sure you also apply on cuticles.
8. Your nails show your health just like your hair. So good nutrition will keep them pink. Improve your diet to include more proteins and vitamins which are important for both hair and nails, eat foods that contain folic acid such as whole grains, berries, kale, and citrus fruits.
By following the above tips and making an effort to have healthy and beautiful nails, you will have better-looking hands. You might also want to consider getting a hand massage. This will help boost circulation, encourage nail growth, and best of all pamper you, your hands, and your fingernails!